Best color for a sail on sailboat
Nice monochromatic color scheme. Choose your own auspicious symbol.
Hi Jessica, This is probably a first for you....what color sail should I put on my orange sailboat? It is an old Snark Mayflower that my brother gave me. The interior is white, the exterior orange, and I need to get a new sail for it. I have the opportunity to have a sail made with several panels on it, and thus, several colors or a pattern of colors are possible. What would be the most auspicious colors for a sailboat sail? I have wanted to learn to sail for many years and this little bitty boat is a dream come true.
Congratulations, Sherry! I would love to own a sailboat. Your question is definitely a first – it makes me ponder…. hmmm.
As a designer and a feng shui consultant, I would approach this in three ways: feng shui, color psychology and aesthetics.
First, let’s consider aesthetics (because you want your boat to look amazing, right?). There are three basic color schemes you can choose – monochromatic, analogous, and complementary.
- A monochromatic color scheme for your boat would consist solely of different shades of orange (you can accent with white or black).
- An analogous color scheme includes colors that are next to one another on the color wheel. So your color scheme might be something like orange and red or orange and yellow.
- Finally, you can opt for a complementary color scheme by selecting colors on opposite sides of the color wheel. In your case it would be blue and orange.
- Check out Adobe Kuler for flawless color combinations.
Now for the feng shui part:
- Green is a great symbol of good luck – although to make it “match” with your orange sailboat I would suggest a green-blue.
- Draw on colors from the feng shui bagua – what do you want to enhance in particular? Do you want to enhance abundance and prosperity? The nice thing is that reds, golds, greens, and blues are terrific enhancements for abundance which isn’t just about money and wealth – it’s really about good fortune in all areas of your life. So again, golds, oranges, reds, blues and blue-greens would be appropriate.
- Don’t forget that you can use symbols of good luck too, like the koi or carp.
Finally consider color psychology:
- Orange is a very active, energetic color. It’s very cheerful and optimistic. This wouldn’t be such a bad thing for your sailboat.
- Red is an extremely active and stimulating color. Probably a little too much for your boat. It would be a great accent with other colors.
- The color yellow is very warm, uplifting, cheerful and happy. Probably a little more appropriate than red.
- Blue is mostly calming, healing, soothing and relaxing. It also symbolizes dependability, trustworthiness, and security. I think blue would be a great color for your sailboat. It doesn’t have to be a bright blue, it can even be a very pale or dark blue. Blue is also a “fortune” element promoting good luck.
- White would be a safe bet since it is the color of light, purity, and perfection.
I know I really haven’t given you a definitive answer – I believe this choice is dependent on your own intuition and personal preferences. I would advise you to consider the options I have offered and choose one that feels right and that makes you happy.
I don’t think you can go wrong, full sails are a naturally auspicious symbol since full sails bring wealth and opportunity. Water is also feng shui symbol for abundance. With that in mind, sail that boat plenty! I would suggest buying a high quality sail as a symbol of abundance and luxury.
I hope this helps!